Ad blockers have been around for years, but recently, when Apple released iOS9, they made their way out of our web browsers and onto our mobile devices. iOS9 users can now purchase apps that will block ads on their phones and tablets.
These ad blocker apps (for example, Crystal) function similarly to AdBlock Plus that many people use on their web browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc. to ensure that online users have a stress-free, comfortable online experience.
How can a small business ensure that its digital ads are still seen? Here are five steps to take while creating your online ads to make sure they aren’t blocked by an ad blocker:
- Make sure your ad file size is small and loads quickly.
- Steer clear of animations and pop-ups. Ads that interrupt the user experience are the reason ad blockers were created.
- Cater your ads to the environment they will be in. Ad blockers are more likely to block ads that blatantly stand out from the rest of the site.
- Clearly mark your ads as an advertisement.
- Be sure that your ad doesn’t distract too much from the content on the site.
As a company looking to advertise online it may be your first inclination to ask for flashy, complex advertisements to attract users’ attention, but with the increasing rate of ad blockers used it is clear that simple ads will be more successful and reach more consumers.
Contact a digital marketing expert to assist in the creation of your online advertising campaign to assure that your ads will be seen by users.
Natalie Kane contributed to this article.